Nothing means Autumn more than pears and if you take them and turn them into a Tarte Tatin, then you will win everyone over. Normally the tarte is made with apples but in the season of fullness and harvest that Autumn is
– why not try the plentiful pears!
So pop on your favourite Cream Collection Lifestyle apron and let's bake!… you will not look back.
100 g (3½ oz) butter, chopped into 1cm cubes
110 g (3¾ oz/½ cup) caster (superfine) sugar
1 vanilla bean, split lengthways and seeds scraped out
5 beurre bosc pears (about 950 g/2 lb 2 oz), peeled,
halved, and cored
1 quantity puff pastry (from the freezer in your
Vanilla ice cream or whipped cream, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C (425°F/Gas 7).
2. Put the butter in a 23.5 cm (9¼ inch) diameter non-stick ovenproof frying pan over medium-low heat. Sprinkle over the sugar and add the vanilla seeds and
pod. Arrange the pear halves neatly in the pan, cut-side down and with the bases around the outside and tops pointing to the centre. Place one pear half in the middle, cut side up.
3. Cook the pears for 10 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally as the mixture will caramelize in the pan unevenly, and shaking it will help keep the caramel
smooth. Cook for a further 2 minutes or until the cut side of the pears is lightly golden.
4. Meanwhile, use a rolling pin to roll out the pastry on a lightly floured work surface to a circle, about 4 mm (¼ inch) thick. Use a sharp knife to cut out a 32 cm (12¾ inch) circle from the pastry.
5. When the pears are caramelized underneath, remove the pan from the heat. Place the pastry on top and tuck it around the side of the pan, close against the pears.
6. Transfer to the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until the pastry is puffed and deeply golden.
7. Remove from the oven and set aside for 3 minutes to cool slightly. Place a serving plate over the pan and hold the base using a kitchen towel. Carefully invert the tart onto the plate, then remove the pan. Serve the Tarte tatin with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
As always we would love to see your end results when
serving up – so please tag us with your deliciousness on
a plate at @cream_collection_lifestyle
We cannot wait to see your results
Credit : GoodFood.com.au